Pages

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Making A Bean Hut

Two months ago I had the bright idea of creating a bean hut in our back yard. I had been greatly inspired by Jenny at Let The Children Play's Pinterest board 'early childhood outdoor learning environments'. She has collected so many great ideas. I want to do them all!

We needed Daddy's help with this one as I'm not so handy with power tools. He made two planter boxes out of scrap timber (I have no idea how he did this) and then under my instruction, joined them together with two pieces of lattice. Miss 2 had the pleasure of planting the climbing beans.

A week later they began to sprout. The following day Daddy took Miss 2 out to see how the seedlings had grown "Oh my gosh!" I heard him squeal from the backyard. They had grown so much over night. We were all very excited. You can see the difference in the pictures below. Those things grow fast!

2 1/2 weeks

5 weeks



2 months later we are yielding some lovely beans for our dinner each night. The bean hut has also been a wonderful addition to our outdoor play space and a source of shade for the kids to sit beneath while the kids watch Daddy (yes Daddy!) hang out the washing.

And while we are talking gardening, I thought I'd give an update on Priya's play garden. We've had unseasonably heavy rain lately and a the moment it's a big boggy mess but this is what it looked like a couple of weeks ago.

11 comments:

  1. Love love love it! I'd really like to try this one at preschool. And thanks for the shout out :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea making a bean hut, how fun!! When my kids were little and we had a huge garden we made sunflower forts that were very fun. I love the idea of growing beans this way. Stopping by from TGIF link up, Happy St. Patrick's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to see the update on Priyas play garden. Need to got in and do mine. Oh what the hey! WHERES MY SHOVEL!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your bean hut (and your blog)! Such a great idea. Practical and fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea! I definitely want to do this for my girls sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all. I absolutely recommend making one. definitely worth the effort :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lovely Hannah, this is really wonderful!
    I used to be a gardener.... many years ago :)))

    XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fabulous idea! Love it and will have to try it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Please let me know if you do :)

      Delete
  9. Great idea! Is it fine to use the picture of the young girl sitting under the bean hut for a blog written for http://cottonridgellc.com/ ? The article is about outdoor features that will entertain your children and will be linked directly back to this page for picture and bean hut reference.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...